NAD+ stands for nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, which is an active form of a coenzyme that plays a significant role in the chemical reactions within your cells. NAD+:
- Turns carbohydrates, fats, and proteins into usable energy (Krebs Cycle)
- Regulates your body’s stress response
- Repairs and synthesizes DNA
- Regulates your circadian rhythms
- Promotes stem cell production
- As you age, your natural levels of NAD+ begin to decrease. If you add sickness, disease, or addiction to the mix, your NAD+ levels deplete more rapidly.